3 cups blueberries (1 pint approximately)
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup agave nectar
1/4 cup candied ginger
3 inches ginger, slices
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1. Add blueberries, sugar and ginger into a large bowl and let sit for 1-2 hours. For stronger ginger flavor, keep bowl in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
2. Add fruit to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Combine with lemon juice, zest and agave. Cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until it passes the "plate test".
3. When the jam has thickened, stir in candied ginger and pour into prepared pint jar. Apply lid and ring before processing in boiling water for 10 minutes. Remove from pan to let cool and wait for seal to pop! Once cooled, refridgerate!
HONEYCRISP APPLE + PERSIMMON BUTTER (Vegan) Makes 1 pint
4-5 persimmons, chopped
4 honeycrisp apples, chopped and peeled
1 cup water
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Freshly grated nutmeg
1 lemon (optional)
1. Add chopped apple and persimmonos to a saucepan with approximately 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil and then simmer on low heat for 3-4 hours or until fruit cooks down into a butter. Stiring occasionally.
2. Once fruit mixture starts to thicken, add cinnamon, maple syrup, sugar and nutmeg. You may also add the juice of one lemon for added tanginess.
3. Once butter is thick, pour into clean jars. Apply lid and rings before processing in boiling water for 15 minutes. Remove jar and let cool. Let butter cool and listen for seal to pop. Once cooled, refridgerate!