Concord grapes are finally here in NYC. To me, they always signify the end of Summer and beginning of the Fall/Winter season. Although people are already complaining about how cool it is in New York (I'm loving it), I know everyone feels revitalized by the back-to-school season. There is an air of optimism about a new season, much like a new year. It's a time to stop vacationing and get back to work (and we're all kind of relieved to do so).
I took note from my own concord grape lemonade and did a simple frozen dessert. Although this recipe could not be simpler, the flavors are SO potent and seriously addicting. Go grab some concords while you can and maybe some new No. 2 pencils while you're at it.
CONCORD GRAPE & LEMON ZEST POPSICLEs (gluten-free, vegan) Makes 6 popsicles
- 12 oz. concord grapes, rinsed
- 1/4 cup granulated or coconut sugar
- 1 large lemon, juice and zest
Add all ingredients to a food processor. Pulse until combined well and pureed. Drain mixture through a fine sieve into a medium size bowl.
Pour mixture carefully into popsicle molds. Freeze for about 20 minutes, add wooden sticks, then continue freezing for 10-24 hours before eating.
Since summer is actually over, and I'm starting to eat things like mushroom stuffed pumpkin, it's about time I posted my lemonade recipe. This post is long overdue, as my schedule seems to be more and more insane as the hours pass (but no excuses!). Regardless, this recipe was a special one I concocted for my trip to the gluten-free potluck in honor of Shauna and Danny's new book, The Gluten-free Girl & The Chef.
16 oz. fresh squeezed lemon juice
34 oz. filtered water
1 carton blackberries
1 carton concord grapes
1/4 cup brown rice syrup
1/3 agave or maple syrup
1/3 cup apple juice
1. Add concord grapes and blackberries to stove top and heat on low until they release their juices.
2. Strain through a sieve (use the leftover fruit as a compote). Set aside to cool.
3. In an extra large ball jar, combine lemon juice, water, syrups and apple juice. Mix well.
4. Add cooled blackberry & concord grape syrup. Add a few fresh concord grapes into glasses when you serve over ice.