SLOW-ROASTED VINE TOMATO & KABOCHA SOUP WITH PINE NUTS AND GARLIC CHIPS (Gluten-free)Served with sharp cheddar grilled cheese with garlic and whole-grain mustard
6-5 tomatoes, cored and diced
1 leek, chopped 8 garlic cloves, half minced and half whole
8 garlic cloves, half minced and half whole
8 oz. tomato on the vine
3-4 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups kabocha squash, cubed
1.5-2 cups vegetable broth
3 tablespoons sundried tomato paste
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Pinch of parsley and thyme
Maldon sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
1. Add vine tomatoes to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper with olive oil, whole garlic cloves and sea salt. Cook for approximately 1 hour at 275 degrees.
2. In the meantime, combine garlic, leek and onion with olive oil in a medium sauce pan. Then, add the tomatoes. Cook this mixture over medium heat until mixture begins to caramelize.
3. Add vegetable broth. Let the liquid come to temperature before adding kabocha, tomato paste and seasoning. Let ingredients stew over medium heat for 20-35 minutes or until kabocha is tender.
4. After flavors are combined, use a hand blender to puree the soup. Blend until mixture reaches your desired texture. I pureed about half the soup and left the other half as is.
5. Once vine tomatoes are finished roasting (and garlic is crispy), use them to garnish the soup. Also top with pine nuts, more sea salt and fresh ground pepper. This recipe serves 4 people.
6 gluten-free bread slices (I used Udi’s Ancient Grains)
3-4 tablespoons butter
1 garlic clove, whole
2-3 tablespoons whole grain mustard
Cheddar cheese (amount depending on preference!)
1. Add butter to a skillet over medium heat. Add bread slices and cook until charred. Add more butter before flipping the slices. Once charred, pub garlic clove over both sides of the bread. Add a slab of cheddar cheese and mustard to form the sandwich. Add to baking sheet lined with parchment paper and cook for 10-12 minutes at 300 degrees or until cheese is melted. Repeat to make a total of 4 grilled cheese. Be sure to serve and dip with soup.