I love any holiday that gives me a reason to make a baked good. I know a lot of people love to hate on Valentine's day, but I'm not one of them. Cards, gifts and chocolates aside - it's really just an excuse to hang out with someone you love.
I'm not the biggest chocolate person in general, but sometimes I can get down with something this decadent. I also love the idea of making a brownie-type dessert in a tart pan to make it feel more like a "occasion." Make sure to serve this one warm with lots of coconut creme on top and share with a loved one ;).
WALNUT BROWNIE TART WITH GANACHE & WHIPPED COCONUT CREME (Gluten-free, Dairy-free) Adapted from David Lebovitz
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 6 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup natural cane sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot starch
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chunks
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease your 8-9 inch tart pan with coconut oil (or cut out a fitted circle of parchment paper).
In a medium saucepan, add coconut and walnut oil and semisweet chocolate. Once chocolate begins to melt, stir until smooth and creamy.
Remove from the pan and stir in sugar, vanilla, and whisk in one egg at a time. In a separate bowl, whisk together cocoa powder, salt, almond meal and arrowroot starch. Slowly whisk in dry mixture to brownie batter and beat well until smooth.
Stir in chocolate chunks and walnuts. then scrape batter into tart pan. Sprinkle with sea salt and bake for 30 minutes. Let brownies cool, then chill for 40 minutes for the cleanest cut.
- 3 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup coconut cream (I used SoDelicious brand)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Add cocoa powder and semisweet chocolate to a medium sized mixing bowl. Heat coconut milk over medium heat until it comes to a low boil. Pour over chocolate mixture and let sit for 30 seconds. Stir in vanilla extract and whisk together well until smooth. Drizzle over finished brownie tart.
- 1 (15oz.) can coconut milk
Chill coconut milk in the fridge overnight. Once opened, scoop out all the thick coconut cream into a small mixing bowl. Whip until smooth and add a dollop to each brownie slice.